Wednesday, May 9, 2007

New job and baby diarreah

Rob started a new job recently.
He is now an employee of the City of Cape Coral. Rob is working in the water treatment plant and he is really happy there. He has wanted to work for the city for quite a while but it's very difficult to get in. The long term benefits are wonderful. Great retirement, great benefits plus lots of other things that make this the right choice. The one temporary negative to this job is that Rob took a huge cut in pay. This was a very difficult decision for us to make. The pay will greatly improve within a few years(union contract) but things will be hard for a while. In the meantime, I have started babysitting again.

I don't really mind babysitting, but I have had a really tough time getting babies that "fit in" with our family. For example, a 7 month old I had a few weeks ago, was with me for two days and screamed for 5 hours each day(no joke, I wish I was joking). Mom didn't speak hardly a word of English and unfortunately the kids Spanish lessons didn't have the words for "screaming bloody murder" in the glossary(I checked). On day two she broke a bunch of blood vessels in her face and mom got the point.

The next baby I got was 3 1/2 months old and he screamed quite a bit but that was the best part of him. He had diarreah every 1/2 hour all day every day as well as reflux(vomiting) non-stop. All of this must have slipped mom's mind during our interview, because when I brought up my concerns to her, she told me that he had done this for the past TWO MONTHS and the doctor said it was teething! Three and a half months old! Teething!?! Needless to say, we parted ways this afternoon.

Now I do have one 5 month old little girl that I watch that is so great that Ben asked if we could just photocopy her. Pretty funny. Too bad Kinkos didn't think so.

Are there "normal" kids out there? Am I too picky? Did you know that when people interview me, no one asks for references? What are they thinking? I've only met 1 dad in the interview process since I've been babysitting here(6 years). Why do dads leave the daycare choices up to the moms? Ok I'm done...

Now that I have vented , I will just say, good night.

Smiles, Lynne

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GOOD LUCK, Hope that this little girl works out well for you.